Since I have started homebrewing there has been one thing that I don’t like. Bottling. Cleaning, sanitizing, adding sugar, bottling, capping, waiting… oh the waiting! I hated it.
The problem I had was that the keg’s spears did not have the retaining rings/clips. Luckily after some internet searches and searching I found a 5 pack of retaining rings on amazon. Cheap enough and works perfectly, there is a bit of finagling to get the sanke fittings to sit correctly with them but c’est la vie.
For reference I will share what my steps were in cleaning and filling.
- Remove spears
- Soak spears and kegs in clean water with oxyclean for a few (3-4) hours
- Dump and rinse thoroughly
- Sanitize however you see fit
- Run BLC through any lines that would touch the beverages
- Sanitize lines
- Siphon beer into kegs
- Chill and fit spear, C02, and tap lines
- Turn on C02 to your preferred carbing pressure
- Enjoy sanke keg beer